Santa takes off very soon, and for a lot of us, that means we are taking off to Carriage Crossing, Town Square, Poplar Market Plaza and other local retail locations to find that perfect gift for everyone on our list. Finding that perfect gift can be a challenge, however, shopping locally does have added benefits: it boosts the local economy and a portion of the sales tax helps fund Collierville Schools.
While you are out shopping in Town, the Collierville Police Department wants to remind you that thieves are also out shopping – for your purchases. There are a few safety precautions to help avoid becoming easy prey for a crime of opportunity.
- Keep all car doors locked and windows closed while in or out of your car. Set your alarm or use an anti-theft device.
- If you must shop at night, park in a well-lighted area.
- Avoid parking next to vans, trucks with camper shells, or cars with tinted windows.
- Park as close as you can to your destination and take notice of where you parked.
- Never leave your car unoccupied with the motor running or with children inside.
- Do not leave packages or valuables on the seat of your car. This creates a temptation for thieves. If you must leave something in the car, lock it in the trunk or put it out of sight.
- Be sure to locate your keys prior to going to your car.
- Keep a secure hold on your purse, handbag and parcels. Do not put them down or on top of the car in order to open the door.
- When approaching or leaving your vehicle, be aware of your surroundings.
- Do not approach your car alone if there are suspicious people in the area.
- Ask mall or store security for an escort before leaving your shopping location if you are concerned.
If you see any suspicious activity, do not hesitate to call the Collierville Police non-emergency number 901-853-3207.