Mechanical FAQs

Do I need a permit for repairs?

No. A repair is defined as "The replacement of any minor part that does not alter the approval of equipment or an appliance or make such equipment or appliance unsafe"

Do I need a permit for replacements?

Yes. All equipment or appliance replacements must be permitted and inspected for compliance with the Mechanical and Fuel Gas Codes.

Can I obtain my own permit as a home owner?

Only licensed mechanical contractors that have a current Collierville Business License can obtain a Mechanical Permit.

What do I need to obtain a permit and how do I get it?

A mechanical contractor must be licensed in Shelby County or the state of Tennessee and have a current business license with the Town of Collierville. Contact the Building Department at (901) 457-2310 for more information.

Why does the Town of Collierville require inspections?

Inspections are required for all permitted work in order to verify compliance with all applicable codes.

Should my contractor be licensed?

Yes. The State of Tennessee requires that all Mechanical Contractors be licensed.

What happens if an inspection fails?

When a Mechanical Inspector verifies a code violation an inspection ticket will be filled out noting the violation and a copy of the ticket will be left on the job site. The contractor will be responsible for the correction of the violation and a reinspection fee. A second inspection must be scheduled through the Building Department at (901) 457-2310.




Town of DemoCollierville
    • Town Hall Location

      500 Poplar View Parkway
      Collierville, TN 38017

      Mon – Fri: 8AM – 5PM
      Phone: 901-457-2200

      Follow us