- Installing a new fence
- Replacing more than 50% of your total fence
- Moving location the location of your fence
- Changing the type of fence material (i.e. wood to iron)
Fence permits are required prior to any fence or wall being installed in any required yard or along the edge of any yard
Maximum height of fence/wall in front yard is 48 inches (4 feet) and are subject to review and approval of the Design Review Commission (DRC) or Historic District Commission (if located in the Historic District)
Maximum height of a fence/wall in side and rear yard is 72 inches (6 feet)
All fences, regardless of type or material, shall have the finished side facing public right-of-ways, common open areas, parkland or greenbelt areas and other public areas
1. Visit the Code Compliance office at Town Hall's east entrance, 500 Poplar View Parkway, between 7am and 4pm, Monday through Friday.
2. A Code Compliance officer will discuss the proposed location, type fence and answer any questions you have.
3. Draw the proposed fence location on a plat of your property. If you do not have a plat of your property, one may be available at the Code Compliance Office.
4. Complete and sign the fence permit.
5. The cost of the fence permit is $35.00 for residential fences and $50.00 for commercial fences. Cash or personal checks are accepted.
6. The fence permit will be submitted to the Planning, Engineering, and Building Department for approval.
7. You will be furnished with a copy of the approved fence permit.
8. Permits are valid for 6 months from the date of issue.