The Town of Collierville requires permits for anyone building a fence in town.
When is a fence permit NOT required:
If you are replacing LESS than 50% of your total fence; the fence is going back in the exact same location; and you are using the same type of material, you do NOT need a fence permit.
When is a fence permit REQUIRED:
- Installing a new fence
- Replacing more than 50% of your total fence
- Moving the location of your fence
- Changing the type of fence material (i.e. wood to iron)
Fence permits are required prior to any fence or wall being installed in any yard or along the edge of any property.
Maximum height of fence/wall in front yard is 48" (4 feet) and is subject to review and approval by the Design Review Commission (DRC) or Historic District Commission, if located in the Historic District.
Maximum height of a fence/wall in side and rear yard is 72" (6 feet).
All fences, regardless of type or material, shall have the finished side facing public right-of-ways, common open areas, parkland or greenbelt areas and other public areas
How to obtain a fence permit:
- Visit the Building and Codes Division at Town Hall's east entrance, 500 Poplar View Parkway, between 7am and 4pm, Monday through Friday.
- A staff member will discuss the proposed location, type of fence and answer any questions you may have.
- Draw the proposed fence location on a plat of your property. If you do not have a plat of your property, one may be available at the Building and Codes Division.
- Complete and sign the fence permit.
- The cost of the fence permit is $35.00 for residential fences and $50.00 for commercial fences.
- The fence permit will be submitted to the Planning, Engineering, and Building Department for approval.
- You will be furnished with a copy of the approved fence permit.
- Permits are valid for 6 months from the date of issue.