Collierville Center Connect: Phases 1 &2
Collierville Center Connect is a multi-phase streetscape improvement project (e.g. updated sidewalks, crosswalks, streetlights, bike lanes, curb and gutter, landscaping, traffic calming, and utilities) for parts of Center Street. Phases 1 and 2 include Center Street from Starlight Drive north to Keough Road and picks up again at the South Street Intersection north towards South Rowlett. The preliminary design plans are completed and the Town's consultant, A2H, is now working on the construction plans for the project. Notable aspects of the preliminary design include:
- 44+- new on-street parking spaces will be created to the north of the South Street Intersection.
- Two (2) commercial curb cuts would be reduced north of the South Street Intersection with the consent of property owners to maximize on-street parking.
- No roundabout is proposed for the South Street-Center Street Intersection. Instead an updated design incorporating brick pavers and a four-way stop at the intersection is being considered. The intent of this alternative design is to meet the goals intended for the roundabout, which is to "calm" or slow down northbound vehicular traffic as it moves into an area where on-street parking will be added to encourage mobility, safety, and improve the experience for pedestrians and cyclists.
- We are working to synchronize drainage improvements and the Downtown Greenbelt trailhead at Center Street.
- On the north end, the project will not start until Russell's middle curb cut due to property owner concerns about impacts to business operations, including deliveries, customer pick-ups, and off-street parking.
- In order to help reduce southbound vehicle speeds on Center Street, we will narrow (i.e. 'choke down') the width of the travel lanes in proximity to the Post Office's southern curb cut.
- A new sidewalk (with related curb, drainage, and driveway improvements) will be added along the west side of Center Street between Keough Road and Starlight Drive. Two school bus stop areas will also be added on this side of Center Street.
- Green concrete streetlight poles will be added south of Keough Road to Starlight Drive. We will reuse the existing metal streetlights on the northernmost part of the project.
- As part of the work between Keough Road and Starlight Drive, we will be repairing an existing elevation issue with Center Street found in this area.
- The Town will have an opportunity to review and comment on the construction plans before they are submitted to TDOT (Tennessee Department of Transportation) for approval. A2H is scheduled to submit construction plans to TDOT on December 29, 2014. TDOT will authorize us to proceed with right-of-way acquisition once the construction plans are approved by them. We expect right-of-way acquisition to take at least a year with construction to start in 2016 and be completed by September 2017.
On Tuesday, June 26, 2012, the Tennessee Department of Transportation (TDOT) announced it was awarding the Town of Collierville a $756,846 Enhancement Grant for Phase 1 improvements to Center Street. The project, named "Collierville Center Connect," will upgrade Center Street in six phases over several years and requires a 20% local match. Phase 1 will cover Center Street from Russell's Nursery southward to the intersection of South Street. The main emphasis of this phase is the separation of pedestrians from parking and vehicle movements and better design and shared marking for bike facilities.
This grant along with future phases will improve transportation options, will provide an attractive gateway to the Town Square from TN Highway 385 and US Highway 72, tourism, and enhance economic development opportunities for the area. These are all recommendations of the Downtown Plan adopted in 2010 year long public process. The Town applied for the grant last year, but Collierville was not selected. This year the Development Department along with help from their consultant, Askew Hargraves Harcourt (A2H), and support from the Board of Mayor and Alderman assembled a successful campaign which included over 50 letters of support from various stakeholders and community leaders, name recognition from a catchy new logo titled "Collierville Center Connect", a website dedicated to the project, various press releases, correspondence with TDOT's Local Program Development Office, and meetings with Senator Mark Norris, who played a critical role in promoting the application in Nashville.
The Memphis MPO (Metropolitan Planning Organization) formally awarded Phase 2, the $880,000.00 Transportation Alternatives Grant, at its November 21, 2013 Transportation Policy Board meeting. Phase 2 would include multimodal improvements to portions of Center Street in the vicinity of Keough Road to Starlight Drive. Design, right-of-way/easement acquisition, utility relocation, and project construction will be synchronized with Phase 1, which includes the area from Russell's Nursery to South Street.
Transportation Alternatives Grants (formerly known as TDOT Enhancement Grants), are 80/20 matching grants, used for enhancing roadways with streetscape elements (sidewalks, pedestrian lighting, landscaping, on-street parking, bike lanes, greenbelts, etc). In addition to the 20 percent match for construction of streetscape, the Town is 100% responsible for design expenses, right-of-way acquisition, and utility relocation.
Collierville is utilizing Transportation Alternatives Grants for a local initiative to improve mobility on Center Street from US Hwy 72 to the Square, called "Collierville Center Connect". Collierville Center Connect (a combination of six planned phases overall) would improve transportation inadequacies, provide an attractive gateway to the Town Square from TN Highway 385 and US Highway 72, and enhance economic development opportunities for the area. Since 2011, the Town applied for and received two grants for Phases 1 and 2, respectively. Additional background information can be found by selecting the links below:
Public Comments? Click Here.
How can I get more info?
Contact:Shari MichaelTown of Collierville500 Poplar View ParkwayCollierville, TN 38017Desk: 457-2362Fax: 457-2354