Collierville Center Connect: Phases 1 &2
What is Collierville Center Connect?
In 2012 and 2013, the Tennessee Department of Transportation (TDOT) awarded the Town of Collierville two grants for Phases 1 and 2 for improvements to Center Street. The project, named "Collierville Center Connect," will upgrade Center Street in six phases over several years and requires a 20% local match. To date, the Town has only applied for funds for two of the six phases.
Center Connect is a multi-phase streetscape improvement project (e.g. updated sidewalks, crosswalks, streetlights, bike lanes, curb and gutter, landscaping, traffic calming, and utilities) for parts of Center Street. Phases 1 and 2, which will be constructed simultaneously in 2018, include Center Street from Starlight Drive north to Keough Road and picks up again at the South Street Intersection north towards South Rowlett.
Click here to see artistic renderings of what Center Street will look like when Phases 1 and 2 of the project are completed.
How will Center Street be improved by Center Connect in Phases 1 and 2?
Center Street will be improved in the following ways by this project:
- 44+- new on-street parking spaces will be created to the north of the South Street Intersection.
- Two (2) commercial curb cuts would be reduced north of the South Street Intersection with the consent of property owners to maximize on-street parking.
- Four-way stop at the South Street-Center Street Intersection that incorporates brick pavers. The intent of this design is to "calm" or slow down northbound vehicular traffic as it moves into an area where on-street parking will be added to encourage mobility, safety, and improve the experience for pedestrians and cyclists.
- Tie the new sidewalks north of South Street to a planned Downtown Greenbelt trailhead at Center Street.
- In order to help reduce southbound vehicle speeds on Center Street, we will narrow (i.e. 'choke down') the width of the travel lanes in proximity to the Post Office's southern curb cut.
- A new sidewalk (with related curb, drainage, and driveway improvements) will be added along the west side of Center Street between Keough Road and Starlight Drive. A school bus stop will also be added on this side of Center Street in front of the Laurelwood Apartments.
- Concrete streetlight poles will be added south of Keough Road to Starlight Drive. We will reuse the existing metal streetlights on the northernmost part of the project.
- As part of the work between Keough Road and Starlight Drive, we will be repairing an existing elevation issue with Center Street found in this area.
What is the current status of the project?
Between 2013-2015, the Town worked with consultant Askew Hargraves Harcourt (A2H) to prepare construction plans. During 2016 and 2017, the Town has been working with property owners to secure all needed easements and right-of-way to construct the project. This phase is expected to be complete by the summer of 2017, so that a contractor can be selected by the end of the year. When a contractor is selected, additional information about the timing of construction will be communicated to the affected property owners by letter and then with regular email updates for the duration of construction.
Phases 1 and 2 will be built at the same time and a contractor will be selected in late 2017, with construction to start in early 2018. Utility pole relocation will likely start before January 2018, to prepare for construction. It will take 9 months to one year to complete the improvements, with all work to be completed by March 2019.
How can I find more information about the project?
Additional background information can be found by selecting the links below:
For more information, contact project manager Sean Isham at:
Town of Collierville
500 Poplar View Parkway
Collierville, TN 38017