• fountain
  • school admin
  • bma opt
  • estantula park
  • town hall 2
  • safety jackets
  • cas winter
  • sunset
  • chamber

Town News

social facebook box blue 16social twitter box blue 16social rss box orange 16

Home Occupations

The Town of Collierville values the small business endeavors of its citizens; however, it also has a goal and obligation to protect the residential character of its neighborhoods. To accomplish this goal, §151.205(D) of Collierville's Zoning Ordinance allows "Home Occupations," which are businesses, professions, occupations, and trades as defined by §151.003 of the Zoning Ordinance as being conducted "within a residential dwelling unit and is incidental and secondary to the residential use of the lot and that does not adversely or preceptively affect the character if the lot or surrounding area".

To preserve and protect residentail neighborhoods, home occupations are categororized into two (2) distinct types and permitted only in certain Zoning Districts as identified in the Land Use Table included in §151.025(D) of the Zoning Ordinance. Each type has "performance standards" to specific limits on impacts as they pertain to the business aspect of the home.

  • Type 1 Home Occupations:

These types of home-based businesses are those that create no increase in traffic to the neighborhood, are not visibly detectable, and do not use accessory structures to conduct the business (like a detached garage or workshop). Type 1 Home Occupations are permitted "by right" in all dwellings in Town; however, a business license may be required. Collierville residents interested in a Type 1 Home Occupation should contact the Finance Department (457-2282) to determine if a business license is required. The Finance Department will ask that applicants to complete a questionnaire about the operation of the home-based business and sign a statement that they understand and agree with the zoning regulations applicable to home-based businesses. Certain home-based businesses may not require a business license, but residents are still encouraged to complete the questionnaire and submit it to the Planning Division to insure that they do not violate any of the Town's regulations designed to preserve and protect residential neighborhoods.

  • Type 2 Home Occupations:

The Type 2 Home Occupation, a new category created by the Town in March 2011, is similar to a Type 1 Home Occupation, but allows for home-based businesses on larger lots (3 acres or more in any residential zoning district) to have limited traffic increases due to customers or deliveries. Only the Board of Mayor and Aldermen (BMA) can approve Type 2 Home Occupations at a residential address through a process called a Conditional Use Permit (CUP). Type 2 Home Occupations can also use accessory structures in the operation.

Collierville residents interested in a Type 2 Home Occupation should complete a questionnaire about the operation of the business and sign the statement included on the questionnaire that they understand and agree with the zoning regulations applicable to Type 2 Home Occupation. Completed forms should be submitted to the Planning Division for review the questionnaire for a Type 2 Home Occupation and help the home-based businesses owner complete the CUP application. Nonrefundable fees apply if it is determined a CUP is needed. Allow sixty (60) days or more for the processing of a Type 2 Home Occupations, as two public meetings (Planning Commission, Board of Mayor and Aldermen) are applicable.

It should be noted that issuance of a business license by the Town of Collierville, does not mean that a business is permitted in a home by zoning. Also, the Town's limitations on home occupations apply only to activites at the home and are not intended to regulate business activities that occur off-site. Agricultural uses are not considered home occupations and instead are regulated as principal uses per §151.021, which is the Use Table.